This training works for your business name as well as the name for a course you want to scale! Remember, everything is changeable – even a name! The vibe is all about #progressnotperfection and to choose and keep moving, but of course we want to make sure you are picking the RIGHT name from the start, since everything in your business is built from here.
STEP 1: GET CLEAR ON YOUR PURPOSE
- What do I want my business to be about?
- How do I want to serve your community or your clients or the world?
- What’s unique about the way I am bringing my work into the world that other people in my industry are not doing?
- How do I want people to FEEL when they interact with your business? What is the VIBE you want to evoke?
- What do I want to stand for?
STEP 2: PLAY WITH SOME NAMES OR CHOOSE YOUR OWN
Make a list of words that capture the essence / key “buckets for your brand.brand. Mix and match the words until you get the inner “DING!” moment.
CONSIDER GOING WITH YOUR NAME IF YOU ARE THE BRAND
It’s easy and straight-forward (and usually the URL isn’t taken!) and BONUS you own yourname.com so no one else can take it. You can always set up your website to automatically direct traffic from yourname.com > your new brand website down the line if you choose. Often it won’t change,change, so it has the most longevity.
Consider the pros and cons of each: KEY QUESTIONS TO ASK YOURSELF
- Do I want to BE my brand?
Is my name hard to spell or remember?
- Is myname.com already taken? (Pull up google and do a quick search, tweak it if needed)
- Would it make sense to just choose my name to start right now, then change it later?
- What is a name that can grow with me?
STEP 3: Take your top 3-5 names and search to see if they are taken
- Check google to see if the name is taken. Search on a domain finder like godaddy.com
- See if the name is already trademarked thorough uspto.gov
- Check with your Secretary of State website (here is an example for the one in Vermont: https://bizfilings.vermont.gov/online/BusinessInquire/) Optional: check Instagram, Facebook, twitter, etc.
STEP 4 (OPTIONAL): Poll Some Ideal Clients and make sure the name resonates with them
HOT TIP: if not choosing your personal name, choose a name that conveys the what you do or the benefit of what you do, otherwise use a tagline!